It all started when...
- In 2011, two people met privately to share their wish to establish a L'Arche home in Newfoundland and Labrador. This meeting resulted in reaching out to other people and organizing monthly informal meetings to educate themselves about L'Arche.
- In 2012, we adopted the name Cornerstone Housing Society and started with monthly social gatherings. The organization was formally founded in the same year and incorporated with the provincial government of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- We were granted charitable status by the Canada Revenue Agency in December of 2013.
- Our first Annual General Meeting, including the election of our first Board of Directors, was held in 2014.
- Our first major fundraiser was a huge flea-market in the summer of 2014.
- In April of 2015, we established a number of committees to develop the organization and reach out to the community. These committees work together to educate members and the broader community by holding a variety of regular activities and introducing L'Arche Avalon to various local like-minded organizations. We have also hosted visitors from other Atlantic L'Arche communities
- Early in 2016, we started monthly activities (walks and jam circles) to include all members.
- In November of 2016, we were granted L'Arche Project Status by L'Arche Canada. This was a huge step on the path to becoming L'Arche in Newfoundland and Labrador and establishing our first fully fledged L'Arche community, complete with home(s).
- Early in 2017, the community decided on a new name, L'Arche Avalon.
- In 2017, we added weekly lunches to our list of regular activities, to be visible in the community.
- The L’Arche Avalon Official Launch in October of 2017 was a celebration of our community and our attainment of L’Arche Project status. Over a hundred new members, friends, and supporters came together to show their support as we journey towards our goal of establishing homes, programs and workshops for adults with intellectual disabilities.
- We added Spiritual Expressions early in 2018 as a way to promote and support the spiritual well-being of all our members.